This Constituency Labour Party (CLP) is appalled that the UK was the first state to be investigated by the United Nations for grave and systematic violations of the Convention for the Rights of Persons with Disabilities in 2015. In October 2018, the “Concluding observations on the initial report of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland – Alternative report from civil society” found the Government’s record on disability rights has worsened further since being chastised by the UN. We recognise that:
- Police figures across England and Wales show a 33% increase in disability hate crime in 201718 compared to the previous year.
- Nearly 60 cases of disability discrimination over twenty months have been brought against the DWP, manager of the ‘Disability Confident’ scheme for employers.
- 90 disabled people are dying every month after being found fit for work and therefore not entitled
to essential and potentially life-saving benefits. Disabled people are facing discrimination, victimisation and harassment on a massive scale in the UK.
The human rights model of disability is the only way to address this horrific situation. Disabled people’s human rights must be enforced at every level, from the grassroots upwards. Therefore, we must respect those rights in Camberwell and Peckham. We resolve to:
- Call on Camberwell and Peckham CLP to affiliate to Disability Labour, the disabled people userled socialist society, and request advice and support from them to ensure we meet our legal duties towards disabled people.
- Encourage members to endorse and act upon the contents of the legal handbook produced by Disability Equality Act Labour (DEAL).
- Send £50 to Disability Labour from our CLP to support them in being able to print and share the contents of the handbook more widely.
- Call on Camberwell and Peckham CLP to endorse this motion.
Motion Passed: 13th July